Thursday, July 31, 2008

Holy Caterpillar Batman!



You Guessed it! I went caterpillar hunting again and turned up this GIANT green monster eating my tomato plants! Crazy! He was so big! Anyway- I actually knew what to look for when I found the poop sitting on the leaves of a plant. If you recall- I had a similar problem with my indoor amaryllis plant last year. The poop is actually called fracas and is great fertilizer. I went out last night to catch this critter with no luck. He is really hard to see! I bet I was looking right at him and missed him. But tonight I happened to find him...you see he is camouflaged to fit right in with the stems/ leaves. He really is HUGE!Now that I know what to look for I will hunt more in daylight. And a final thought....he was really gross to squish!

5 comments:

Stokes said...

I also had one of those caterpillars on my tomato plants when I was living in Yakima. I think they're called hornworm caterpillars...??? I got a really good picture of mine, too. I didn't have the heart to squish mine - I put it on a neighbors' tree.

Cari said...

Is that a picture you took with your camera? Thats awesome!!

I don't think I could have squished it!

Katie said...

Stokes, remember last time Cynth posted about the fracas, and you told how you ate fracas because it looked like Nerds? Is that right, or am I pregnancy-confused? I laughed my head off last time.

Stokes said...

Yes, Katie, you are not mistaken. I have eaten fracas. Only because of my insatiable appetite for Grape Nerds.

Stokes said...

Katie - if you wanted to re-read the ol' story - It's back in the October 07 archives of Cynth's blog.